Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Using the Rainbarrel Before a Rainy Day or Two

 

Weather alerts always being with "Have you dumped your rain barrels?" I do that for two reasons. One reason is (later in the summer) to thwart the mosquitoes. The second reason is to pour lots of usable nitrogen and unbleached water on the neediest plants.

I got this local advice tonight, with the sun beginning to sink, "It is going to rain tomorrow you know." My answer, "That is why I am using up this rain barrel." I am a magnet for gratuitous advice and modest when handing the results to friends, neighbors, and church members. 

The first plant targets were three Clethra bushes up front - tiny and beautiful, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies - and also two beginners out back. I have lost four others but I count the five survivors as great additions to the garden and their cinnamon fry fragrance. 

Tonight a woodpecker stopped by to drink from the hummingbird feeder.

I also poured plenty of rain water on calla lilies, some late blooming flowers, and the new roses. 

Wood mulch was used last fall and renewed this spring. Fresh mulch is a good way to mark where the neediest plants get extra care, by pruning or watering or de-weeding. I agree with the Queen Elizabeth's policy of leaving stumps and lumps of wood on the soil to foster the bugs that bring the birds that sing in the trees and bushes.

If we cannot learn from God's Creation as foundational, the rest of all knowledge is diluted, misunderstood, and misused. 

I have spent some time and labor building up islands of bee balm, a mint loved by butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. Now that I have large, healthy clumps in the garden, I can transfer samples to other areas where they will dominate weeds while soaking up the sun.

Likewise, areas front and back are hosting attractive hostas (approved by King Charles III) for background decoration. They are not glamorous but sturdy and attractive - but special treats when their graceful flowers on a stalk invite sipping from the hummingbirds. I often think, "Did He do that on purpose?" The answer is obvious - nothing is random when 

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by Him; and without Him was not any thing made that was made.