Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Interesting Week and Day

Vanity Fair in Pilgrim's Progress - before VF was a novel and a Left-wing magazine.

This week began with four medical appointments set, then five, then fourteen. I took one schedule to the nearby doctor's office to coordinate that appointment with the paper in my hand (10 appointments). I was standing there with Christina, facing the office clerk, who said, "You should phone us to get it coordinated." I thought to myself, "Your staff is here. We are here. Does this require a phone?" Comparing notes, the set appointment jived with the new one.

Going down from the fourth floor, we stood looking at the elevator, which another couple had summoned - so they thought. That elevator had a mysterious, prominent button that did nothing, no matter how hard anyone pushed. They found the actual button and pushed it. I said, "That is a neurological test. We failed it last time. They wait to see how long it takes for each person to realize the big button does nothing." They thought it was funny. Perhaps the builders installed the wrong kind of interface with the elevator and simply left it there as a dud.

I am invaluable as the med nurse. I keep track of medicines and refills. Each medical staff goes over them and asks what is current or new. I enjoy pronouncing some meds that trip up staff, but that took some practice. I also serve as the voice of the diabetic expert. I check out various options and solutions with her, to allay fears and encourage a good balance in blood sugar. Chris and I go over grocery lists to emphasize nutrition. I enjoy doing all the cooking, but we look up nutrition ideas concerning our favorite foods or new ones. We love Brussels sprouts, spinach, and broccoli, and I add combinations, like mixed vegetables and onions/peppers. The first three are shockingly loaded with ingredients which help with blood sugar, blood pressure, and other issues.

I remember my mother's favorite cousin visiting us and telling us how much each meal cost when they fixed them for workers on the farm. I do that analysis with ours. This really came from my comparison of modest fast-food meal costs and home-cooked food. The figures are cause for contrition. Two of us at McDonalds - easily totals $15, plus a cone for Sassy. I can cook two large portions of chicken and some fresh frozen vegetables for a total of $5 or so. Delivered pizza versus cooked pizza (frozen) - soggy old for $15, fresh hot for $5.

Christina enjoys the grocery discussions and the infinitely varying meals.