Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Get Any Hostile Comments Lately?

"Ichabod? Never heard of him."
Someone asked me about hostile comments. Except for Lillo-of-the-Valley (Fox Valley), they are extremely rare.

Joel Lillo swore off Ichabod long ago, but he is additional proof that WELS pastors do not give up their addictions easily.

As readers know, I let most comments through - and often feature and answer them. The UOJ fanatics exhausted their two arguments long ago, kept repeating them, and finally realized that they only fueled all kinds of justification by faith quotations and exegesis.

Some have complained that I feature comments, so I continue to feature comments. Others have raged against the graphics, so I keep making them.

The page-view rate seems to be running at 1.1 million per year, a big increase from a few months ago.

Checking to see if Cyberbrethren and LQ were still alive, I found this quotation on LQ - gasp:


The nominations, if you're interested, are at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/getreligion/2004/03/w hen-bad-music-happens-to-a-good-god/ 

Then, the blogger and Lutheran pundit Rev. Gregory Jackson wrote a review of the musical "Godspell" which included the following comments: 


quote:One can also see the influence of Hinduism in portraying Jesus as the Lord of the Dance, a figure borrowed from India, where Shiva’s title is Nataraja – Lord of the Dance. The juxtaposition of Jesus as a dancing clown and as the crucified Messiah struggles as awkwardly in Godspell as it does in the modern hymn (1963), Lord of the Dance:

I danced on a Friday and the sky turned black;
It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back;
They buried my body and they thought I’d gone,
But I am the dance and I still go on.
Dance, then, wherever you may be;
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he.
And I’ll lead you all wherever you may be,
And I’ll lead you all in the dance, said he (Carter, 1963).

Godspell represents a welcome break from the overly somber and melodramatic Jesus films of the past, but the Gospel message is lost in the amusing digressions from the actual narrative, the new mythology of a dancing god. A simple portrayal of the verbatim record in the Gospel is going to have a greater impact than a joyful, mystical, impressionistic experience. 

http://ichabodthegloryhasdeparted.blogspot.com/200 9/02/godspell-review-from-my-film-course.html