Thursday, April 23, 2015

Our First Rose Bloomed on Creation Day.
Grilling To Bring Back Man-Made Global Warming

Falling in Love Rose - fragrant.

Falling in Love
I was counting about 200 KnockOut rose buds on last year's plants when I saw the white one had the first bloom. The new roses are leafing out, with one or two looking reluctant but still healthy.

When I was putting in new roses, I thought one of the bargain roses from last year was dead. I pruned it hard and left it alone. When I came back a few days later to dig it up for its Big Purple replacement, the rose had leafed out.

Last year year I brought roses to the college fairly often. One staffer in the registrar's office really liked one variety, which was pink and fragrant. She loved the roses and became famous for enjoying the perfume so often. But I did not know which one of the eight she liked the most. When the dead rose came to life and I replanted it in the extra gardening space, the label was still around the base. The name - Falling in Love - and the staffer (unknown to us) was seeing a teacher and planning to marry him.

We enjoyed going to their wedding and sitting with college faculty and friends. If the couple happens to stop by, I can show her that favorite rose, blooming again.



One reader was surprised to hear that the new white rose, still leafing out, is quite fragrant. The classic roses from 30 or more years ago were not known for fragrance. Finally people asked that fragrance be bred back into rose lines, so most of the new ones are. Now the rosarians are working on disease resistance.




Creation Day
I never recognize Earth Day, which was started by a man who killed his girlfriend and left her remains to compost in his apartment. He was a non-violent hippy activist.

Instead, I celebrate Creation Day by firing up the grill and cooking some meat. The West was not won by vegans.

Man-made global warming is fraudulent, but I wanted to stop the slide into global cooling. Using their theories, I thought the smoke of charcoal, chicken, and bacon would do something to slow down our wintry weather.

Our grill is a gift from LI and Mrs.LI. The upper rack holds bacon, which flavors the meat below. If I don't start the bacon on fire and burn it to ashes, I finish it on the bottom rack for the extra crispy touch.

T-Rex devours large quantities of meat,
which we freeze instead of buying overprice, salty lunch meat.