Friday, July 14, 2017

The Meaning of John 10


John 10 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

I decided to explain some of the lesson from the Greek class each week. We are going through one chapter in the Gospel of John each week, with some explanation of the meaning of the text.

This chapter of John unites about 500 Biblical references to sheep and shepherding in the Bible - Psalm 23, Isaiah 40 and 53, David the shepherd boy being the forerunner of the Good Shepherd.

Jesus began this doctrinal sermon by distinguishing Himself from all others, who were and are robbers and brigands. In all His solemn declarations, Jesus excludes all falsehood from the truth. There are not many truths, but One Truth, which is revealed by the Holy Spirit in the unbroken Scriptures.

This passage in the Fourth Gospel emphasizes the attributes of faith and the Savior's knowledge of His own followers. Sheep from gathered  flocks were kept together in a fenced pen or sheepfold, with someone guarding the entrance.

The Good Shepherd calls them by name and leads them out, and they follow. They know His voice and listen to it. They do not follow strangers who hop over the fence and enter to rob and destroy. That is why we should shun those people who send themselves, as all false teachers do, instead of being called.

The Church Shrinkers and Missionals are always burning to cure, help, save, and benefit everyone, whether they ask or not - to charge them huge fees while feasting on the flock.

There is only one door, one Savior, one Way, one Truth, and one Life.


10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

The pretenders have three roles - to steal, to kill, and to destroy. They never announce their goals, but they make them clear once they are allowed in. They are arrogant, greedy, self-centered, and bent on using people in every way possible. How can anyone attend a Jeske Change or Die! conference with ELCA and remain in the room without laughing? But no one will point and say, "Why are these brigands telling us how to be shepherds?"
They steal all the insurance, foundation, and synod money. They murder souls, and they destroy the Gospel of Jesus while offering the false gospel of their nostrums.
The phrase in verse 11 really means the Shepherd above all shepherds, but we know the familiar phrase and therefore the meaning behind the original text. An ordinary shepherd does not died for his sheep. Only the Good Shepherd does that.


12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

If we read this chapter, verse by verse, we can see - Jesus really beats up the false teachers. The hired hands are in it for the money and have no ownership of the flock. Drag a foundation grant through a group of clergy and all the liberals will follow it out the door, licking their lips and making promises.
Notice how the highly praised and frequently honored District Presidents are pictured so clearly. They see the wolf coming and run away. Ask them what they really believe and teach - they turn pale, sweat, and back away with fumbling vague words. If caught in their errors, they blow up instead of oozing with flattery. They bought, redeemed by their Father Below, but will be happy to be buried with an honorary D.D.
The salesmen of Unfaith can find no foundation for their plastic gospel. Yes, let's go beyond the plastic text of the liberals to the plastic gospel of the most dangerous apostates. One day they are all "universal absolution and salvation." The next day they are faking Justification by Faith for a moment, just enough to fool those who listen to the institution or the tabloid rather than the Savior. 
The followers know the Shepherd and the Shepherd knows them. People can play a lot of tricks with words, but this reality cannot be denied. The Word penetrates all pretensions (Hebrews 4)
Jesus is teaching the Atonement as the basis for faith in Him. The confused and confusing UOJists try to blend His willing sacrifice with Justification by Faith, conveniently leaving "by faith" out of His teaching. If faith in Him is removed from the lessons John 10, the chapter becomes as hollow as the false teachers. But as we see, the Scripture cannot be broken. 




19 There was a division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings.
20 And many of them said, He hath a devil, and is mad; why hear ye him?
21 Others said, These are not the words of him that hath a devil. Can a devil open the eyes of the blind?
22 And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.
23 And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.
24 Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.
25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
30 I and my Father are one.
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
39 Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,
40 And went away again beyond Jordan into the place where John at first baptized; and there he abode.
41 And many resorted unto him, and said, John did no miracle: but all things that John spake of this man were true.
42 And many believed on him there.

 No more posters in the church, no more ads in the magazine.
Take your Change or Die! with you.