Wednesday, April 25, 2018

How It Works and Doesn't Work - Neighborhood


This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this Springdale. 

Earl of Oxford, Edward II, edited

One of our members mentioned how unusual our neighborhood is. I doubt whether we match the beauty of English towns and cottages, but I thought of this famous passage as it relates to a place we love.

Army Ranger Bob loves to work on cars, and he fixes mine, often after we view a YouTube on car repair tips. His brother Mike enjoyed my outdoor solar lights and had me buy him some. They were not used, so they put them up on the tree at the Four Esses (each daughter's name starts with S). I wanted to share my Crepe Myrtle lights with them so I could prune the bush with impunity. The girls' mother said, "The last strand didn't last." But her husband said, "I ran over a wire with the lawnmower." We contribute to the mom's garage sales, which are great ways to recapture our garage space.

I help Ranger Bob deal with Social Security, the IRS, and various legal papers. He reacts to documents the way I relate to fixing cars. The last impasse was how to fill in data he did not know. I said, "Write - in your records."

 Hot Cocoa was sold out, but I got leftovers for $5 each.

My Hispanic neighbor trimmed my trees for a good price, and he asked me to get him "rainbow roses," where the suppliers sell five bare root roses for a total of $30.

The vet tech boasts two teenage children and an endless supply of pine needs. The daughter harvests pine needles for my mulch needs, though I also collect my own.

Sassy is the uniting element. Everyone watches out for her, and all the children adore her. She even blocks the vet tech's children on the sidewalk until they stop, talk to her, and pet her.



The Synodical Breakdown - The Sterile Sects Labor in Vain
For years the Lutheran synods have rewarded their incompetent friends and punished anyone who questioned their foolishness. In a neighborhood, people help each out. The synods are limited by the people they have driven away, hated out, kicked out, and punished in various ways.

Now they are blubbering about their losses. Notice how Matt the Fatt, Pope John the Malefactor, and Mirthless Mark have clung to their high-paying jobs for so long. So what do they offer Lutherans for the Reformation's 500th? They agree with Huber and Knapp, but disparage Luther.