Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yerks for Rock


From: Troy Yerks
To: church_and_change@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 7:56:45 PM
Subject: Re: [church_and_change] Worship Styles

I guess the concern I had with entertaining aspect is that the 'band' is there to 'rock out' the congregation and 'get them moving.' I used single quotes, because those were exact words from some of our contemporary band members. Not many of the people sing with the group, and they applaud. Now, make sure you understand me. I don't have a problem with clapping in church with the correct motivation. If it seems like a concert, and we're receiving applause during a worship service, I missed the boat! If there is applause at the end of the service and it is understood as giving thanks to God for the talent He has granted us, then I feel comfortable and like I'm not sinning. I feel as if I am sinning getting applause while giving praise to God. All glory should be going to him and not to myself or others that are creating music.
Troy