Saturday, November 19, 2011

Luther Rocks: Pure Gold

Luther Rocks: Pure Gold:



Pure Gold

Much ado about the WELS in the news and the blogosphere as of late. It reminded me of a blog post by my pastor last April. May those who struggle find some comfort...Read on...

A Primer on Anfechtung | St. Antony’s Cave: A Primer on Anfechtung Posted on April 18, 2011 by Rev. Paul R. Harris

As Jerry’s fellow comedian says, “That’s pure gold Jerry; pure gold I’m telling you” when Jerry tosses him a joke as a bone to his sycophantic friend. Well my friends I toss not a bone but the whole steak. First I whet your appetite with this appetizer from Johann Gerhard: “; [T]hus does God the Lord also often allows the members of Christ to experience such anguish, so that they think nothing other than that God has forsaken them and will no longer look upon them in grace. We find such examples of temptations especially in David and Job. And with such temptations God more often assails, not the ordinary Christian, but rather the greatest saints, who have increased more than others in the knowledge of God” (History of the Suffering, Gerhard, 275)...finish the article here.