Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My First Hummingbird on the Butterfly Bush - Near the Window

White Profusion Butterfly Bush

I decided to put the observational plants in the same area with the most sun, what amounts to the backyard extension of the sunny garden, on the south side.

There I planted butterfly, beneficial insect, and hummingbird flowers:

  • Bee Balms
  • Lavender
  • Coreopsis
  • Dill
  • Gooseberry
  • Beautyberry
  • Chaste Tree
  • White Profusion Butterfly Bush


I planted White Profusion where I could easily see it from the bedroom window. I was doing some laundry and peeked out the backdoor at that garden area. A hummingbird was darting from one white flower to another. I walked to the bedroom window and looked again. The hummingbird continued its work for a time and moved on.


White Profusion close up.
I began the year looking at lists of plants friendly to butterflies and hummingbirds, then added beneficial insect plants to my shopping list.

Diversity of plants is the main goal. As I mentioned with beneficial insects, the adults may live on one type of food (nectar and pollen) while the new-borns live on pests as they hatch. Having a large number of nectar and pollen plants - yea, even weeds and herbs - will help populate all the desirable creatures.

This is also the bird area, and they all get along fine. Birds, toads, and beetles eat pests. Those pests could be killed with insecticides, but that would eliminate the butterflies and beneficial insects. Hummingbirds do not simply sip nectar. They also need insects to feed that astounding energy level.

Driving away and killing the pests will always end in getting rid of the most attractive and useful creatures fashioned for that purpose by God. And best of all, these beneficial creations are a delight to the eyes and ears.

Below proves how one type of Bee Balm can attract the best of the delightful creations.