Tuesday, November 19, 2019

From Alec Satin - Encouraging Words from Stork



The book of Stork’s writings starts out with a short sketch written by his brother. In a letter written by Charles Stork after a year teaching at Gettysburg, he says this:
“I am glad my first year’s work is nearly over. It ends June 25th. It has been quite hard for me making lectures on new subjects. I have been kept too close in my study. But the summer vacation will mend that; and next year I shall not be pressed so hard. I hope I am doing good here; but I find in doing work for the Lord, as in all the Christian life, we must walk by faith, not by sight. We cannot see always that we are really accomplishing anything. The only way I find is to live day by day, being sure the Lord has given us a certain work to do, and then doing it, even though we cannot see the fruit. I preached yesterday on Mary’s words at the feast at Cana, ‘Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.’ How simple and beautiful that rule is; to take our work from his lips, our particular work whatever it is and then faithfully and loyally to do it just because he says it.”

 By Norma A. Boeckler

***
GJ - The Roman Catholic priest and the Pietist guru say the same thing, "Have you done enough? They change the focus from the efficacy of the Word to the righteousness of works.