Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Sassy Tales

Sassy enjoys company. She is a great guest and host.

Sassy had a sleep-over with Army Ranger Bob this week. They were back early (for him) on Monday morning. She must have enjoyed her stay, because she almost went back with him. Everyone loves Sassy, except Tiny, the ferocious Chihuahua who guards the Four Esses.

 Tiny has this reaction when Sassy warns him to stop being so cute with me. They made enough noise to wake the neighborhood.

We have had some cold mornings, but John and Patricia come out in the cold to see Sassy. The big question is whether Sassy will love up husband, wife, or neither. It is easy to see that Sassy is playing with them, so they laugh at her stubborn coldness. A burst of laughter prompts Sassy to bestow her gentle kisses, always listening for a reaction.

 German road-block. Sassy gets attention by filling the passageway with her stretched-out body. Kitchen? Why not stretch out in front of the fridge? Dominating the space is a win, all by itself.

Coffee is magical for Sassy. She has made pour-over coffee time her chance to request some Johnsonville brat slices. This began with my shocked look when she was in the kitchen before the sun was up. Now she quickly changes her expression from hopeful to big, self-satisfied, and smiley. If she is sleepy, the smile takes a few more dramatic gestures and backward hops.

Sassy understands that I want fresh, hot coffee before we walk. She has ways to motivate me and to show her impatience:

  1. The paw against my leg - the lightest touch tells me she is present and ready to walk, at my convenience. She may murmur a little.
  2. A gentle swap means it is time, but she will wait a bit.
  3. The command-demand cycle begins with dragging a paw across my kneecap. (Once it was my fragile and sensitive stomach, and she laughed at the result.) People should consider a dog's ability to smile, laugh, scowl, pout - they are masters of management.
  4. If the first kneecap scrape is ineffective, the next one is a double with more force and a definite, impatient scowl.
  5. Christina was awake and watching when I said, "Wait for the triple scrape."
  6. I closed my eyes and became still. Sassy delivered the final warning, DEFCON 1 THIS IS NOT A DRILL! - three forceful kneecap scrapes and a furious look. I burst out laughing, which only proved that I am malleable. Sassy and I left soon after for the walk.