Friday, January 29, 2021

The Stock Market Is News Today

"Show me the Monet."


I have all my limited assets in books and a 20 year-old car. Today I am shipping four boxes of great books to a Lutheran couple, including a secret ingredient long ignored by Lutheran missions, whether world or domestic - Luther's Sermons. No, really. I could not afford a soda fountain, cases of popcorn and peanuts, or the Complete Works of Craig Groeschel.

In a startling 40-year study, Fuller Seminary discovered that their fads, gimmicks, and marketing only had a destructive effect. They even stopped expanding their own campus, canceling their dreams or visions or illusions after the drawings were done.

If you want to have fun - or nightmares - today, watch the stock market and listen to the financial news. I passed the investment test for the CLU, but now I realize the primary talent for the investment companies is piling up debt.

The big news is GameStop, where people have pushed up the price by buying and brokers have sold the stock short. When that happens, and no one wants to sell that stock, the brokers have to cover their position sooner or later.

The old Wall Street saying is - "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered."