Monday, December 20, 2021

Oklahoma versus Oklahoma.
KJV versus the Moderns

 O-o-o-o-o-o-klahoma... No-o-o-o-o!

We had a loud party going on Saturday night, on the street behind us - Joye Street. Covering my ears did not help, so I rented the original Oklahoma! movie, from Amazon, a 1955 classic with great actors and singers. Gordon MacCrae, Shirley Jones (Music Man), Eddie Albert (from the Quad Cities), Rod Steiger, and many more. 

I stopped early and fell asleep.  On Sunday I saw that I could get Oklahoma (1999) for free. Hugh Jackman starred in it, without his Wolverine costume and Cutco paws. It had to be fairly good, right? The surrey with the fringe on top was invented, not ridden in the new movie. The sets were right off the nearest high school stage. The singing was painful to hear. 

Hugh Jackman - elementary school.

I went back to the original film and finished that, thinking, "This is just like the KJV being replaced by the Revised Standard Version! - the new one flat, dull, lifeless, and mundane." And those were the good points of the RSV (under continuous revision). The new paraphrases, which do not pretend to be translations, are as lifeless as O 1999. 

Nota bene - I had to pay for the original Oklahoma! rental. The 1999 version is free with Premium. 



 Shirley Jones - again!