Monday, March 21, 2022

Big Storm Rolling Through

 Joe Pye Weed is still dormant.

We had a little rain before, just when we needed it. Then this storm moved in from the West, fairly weak all day. Now it is booming overhead like the finale of a July 4th celebration. 

I clipped the older blooms on the daffodils, to let the bulb grow better and not let them try to build a seed from the flower. They will produce new bulbs until they have to be dug up and separated to let even more grow.

I figure the earthworms are just as happy about this long rain - thunderous then dripping - as I am. They were doing Olympic jumps out of the bag, tiny threads ready to turn into patriarchs and matriarchs. They handle both roles. 

Roses love being rained on. They are much more demanding of water than most people think. 

The Military Gardening Group had a long discussion on how to deal with the tiny Japanese beetles (unlike the more popular June bugs). I have found no natural solutions, though many natural solutions are sold.

I am looking forward to the unusual daffodils blooming. I will post photographs.