Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Boxes of KJV Bibles

Byzantine Bible - The Greek, Apostolic New Testament Scriptures were preserved by the Christian, Greek Byzantine Empire, which lasted 1100 years.



We see Big John on our walks almost every day. Like Bob, he remembered Sassy's name better than mine at first - and loved to call her as soon as we came around the corner to Joye. In good weather, we sit and watch the neighborhood with his wife Pat and her son Sam. 

John asked me about a Giant Print Bible - and he emphasized KJV - the only version he would read. Large is now called giant, so I said, "Super Giant Print?" Yes, that was what he wanted. He really liked it because he could no longer read ordinary print. I repeated his favorite phrase - "Welcome to my world."

A few weeks later, he asked, "Do you still have access to those Super Giant Bibles? KJV, mind you. I need one." I said, "John, I just got you one." He grinned and said, "I gave mine away to a friend." Soon the ante was up to a dozen at a time. I just delivered another box when he said, "Good, because I gave mine to someone else."

His basic approach is to ask people if they have a Bible. Often the answer is no. Would they like an easy-to-read Bible? Yes, and they grin ear-to-ear when they get theirs - children and Hispanics alike. 

We have given away 50 Bibles at least, and the KJV is pan-denominational, the most uniting of all the Bibles in print.

When he told me recently that he needed another dozen, I was delighted to find a lower price from the same ChristianBook.com source. I drove the box over to him, and he opened it to find they were not Super Giant but Giant - which is not what I would call Giant. There was no desire to send them back ($10 each) so when I drove the Super Giant replacements over, John began wondering if I had to mail the mini-Giants back. 

"Is there a need for this smaller size?" John started telling me about a friend who needed six of the ten. I said, "Sure. We have members who love the KJV, and they want to help, so we have a fund."

The buoyant salesmen talk about every benefit except relying on the effective Word of God. That comes to people in conversation, blogs, artwork, Bible-reading, and even in the Means of Grace in church.