Monday, June 8, 2020

Senator Tom Cotton and I

U.S. Senator Tom Cotton, Arkansas

I was at the Crystal Bridges Museum with Mrs. Ichabod when Tom Cotton's name came up in connection with politics. He was aim at a first-term in the House of Representatives. Alice Walton had us talk to a woman active in the G.O.P. We were fairly new and learned Cotton had quite a resume.


Soon Cotton was invited to speak at Ecclesia College, a few miles away, where I was teaching. I went to the greeting line and said hello and welcome, though he went to the wrong college. "I went to Yale." How often can I introduce that in a greeting line?

I heard that he might run for Senator, because the Democrat (Pryor) voted for ObamaCare. Soon Cotton was running. I heard Pryor deliver his swan song at a Walmart meeting. He looked like he was facing the gallows - and he lost to Cotton.

Lately Cotton has published an editorial essay in the NY Times that caused a Woke revolution there and plenty of turmoil, enough to make the evening Fox News discussions.

 Isn't it terrible, "stuck in Podunkville?" as one of the Fox Valley alcoholics called this area. We never get to meet anyone. We have not traveled much in the last 11 years, since the whole world comes here.