Friday, September 25, 2020

Clethras In - Daffodils Arrive

  1. I was counting on the Cletha shrubs to arrive before daffodil digging began. The very light box (Clethra) came first. We had a light rain that provided extra rainwater in the barrels. 
  2.  I opened the package and began soaking the shrubs about two hours early, 5 am. Plants sent correctly are so protected, they have boxes around them and tape keeping everything from jostling. 
  3. I picked spots in the front where the Cletha would be seen and appreciated. My shovel must have root radar, because each choice location included a tough maple root. I snipped them. 
  4. The shrubs were easy to plant, so I used the removed soil and added Peat Humus on top for activating soil creatures. 
  5. The top layer is Cyprus mulch, because that marks new or renewed plants. And it holds moisture while slowing decaying into the soil.
  6. I use the plastic collar to protect new plants from critters. I added rainwater to each plant.
  7. The soil is quite dry, so I will keep adding rainwater.

I added more Clethras because of the power of fragrance. They bring butterflies and pollinators. Clethra's cinnamon and sweet aroma is also pleasing to humans.