Thursday, August 4, 2022

How Close Was the Hummingbird?

What is more delightful than a hummingbird sipping nectar, 18 inches away?

The drought was broken today, when a predicted light rain turned into hours of serious, cooling, enjoyable rain. 

I invited Sassy outside to observe the frantic activities of insects working the Joe Pye, Clethra, and Bee Balm.

I watered the new, scarlet Bee Balm - Fireball -almost every day during the drought, using the rain barrel in front down to the last drop.

 The smallest bird is the bravest. Synodical bullies should take note of that.



Today I was sitting on the bench with my leg crossed, my bare toe 18 inches from the red Bee Balm. A hummingbird came over to thank me for installing such an attractive, hummingbird-loving flower. It sipped every part of the flower and circled to make sure he had all the ports checked. Then he went to the next red Bee Balm, to sample the new one starting to flower.

As stunning as the hummingbird is, this photo delighted me even more.