Thursday, April 25, 2024

The Most Popular Beverage in the World - Tea.

 


I was tired of coffee, so I began dabbling in tea recently. Long ago I was introduced to Constant Comment tea in Moline. I enjoyed it while working all night in seminary. I took extra courses and needed to stay up to finish the papers. Tea was basic in Canada, so I got to enjoy tea at all the meals. 

I tried various flavors of tea, including chocolate mint. Flavored teas are difficult after the first surprise trial. I began wondering about green tea, black tea, and Earl Grey. My vegetable and tea consultant agreed that Earl Grey is the best since it adds bergamot (orange) to the tea. The scent of good Earl Grey tea is heavenly.

Videos on making and serving tea are numerous on the streaming platforms. One showed how all the teas around the world were grown. One tea was featured at the factory in England where about 40% of the tea in England is gathered and blended for use. The idea is to maintain the flavor while blending the teas.

Almost all the tea in the world is hand-picked. I saw only one example of harvesting with machinery.

Craving foods and beverages has come up in a number of books I am reading. Doctors point out that we develop a taste for something over time, making people avoid the taste of something new. My parents made me try all those farm vegetables they loved, and it took me a long time to see why. OK, it took about 60 years.

I do not think twice now about building up my supply of frozen kale, spinach, collards, lima beans, peas, mushrooms, tomato paste, fresh walnuts and blueberries. No colas, no juices, no frozen pizza, no ice cream. The transition is slow. 

The best part is getting the nutrition not found at all in processed food, which promotes fat, salt, and sugars. The daily walnut cure for cholesterol got me to look into the nutritional effects of greens, vegetables, fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds. 

I still read Dr. Joel Fuhrman, and I find enormous free sources from Dr. Michael Greger. I will post both below.



This is Greger's link - where I am going to look for more nutritional facts.