Thursday, November 6, 2008

CGM Alive and Purring in WELS - WELS AnswerMan



Borgwardt: "We're not gay - we're generic."




WELS Q and A

Q: On your recent WELS Web site homepage, you highlighted www.crossroadschicago.org, the Web site of a new WELS mission. When I researched the site, I discovered that the Church Growth Movement is alive and well in WELS. I could not find any reference to WELS anywhere on the site, and the copyright is by Crossroads "Christian" Church. If I didn't know better, I would think I was looking at a Disciples of Christ website! In its statement of faith, which is vague and subject to a great deal of misinterpretation, it states that Crossroads is "a Christian community with roots in the Lutheran tradition." That's the language of the ecumenical movement! What's happening to my WELS? As WELS members, are we now ashamed of the word "Lutheran"? Are we becoming just like the vague and generic evangelical churches that offer a generic gospel so as not to offend anyone? Tell me what's going on in the WELS. This isn't confessional Lutheranism at all!

-----------------------------------

A: The best answer to your question will come by directly contacting your brothers and sisters at Crossroads Christian Church.

What I know about the congregation is that it was founded recently by some very dedicated and solidly Lutheran young people who are interested in outreach with the gospel, especially to others their age. They perceived that the name Lutheran would dissuade many from even looking to their Bible-based message. In the Chicago area "Lutheran" means liberal, homosexual-supporting, pro-abortion, women voters, denial of biblical inspiration, and false ecumenism.

Of course, to you and me Lutheran means something entirely different. But the fact that this group of Christians called a fine, young, conservative WELS pastor to be their shepherd speaks to me more loudly than their choice of names.

After you speak with them directly, you will have to judge which is the greater risk: Using the name Lutheran in an area where Lutheranism denotes all the things we deplore, or not using the name Lutheran and risking the suspicion of their brothers in other parts of the country that they have joined the Disciples of Christ.

***

GJ - How many unwarranted assumptions are in this answer? I stopped counting. I hope all the conservative Lutheran congregations have erased "Lutheran" from their websites, or prospects will expect the clergyperson to come dancing out in lavender hose and rainbow stoles.

I believe this is an old Q and A because the Chicago stealth congregation was featured in the stealth magazine some time ago, before SP Schroeder was elected. The answer sounds pure Wayne Mueller.

I wonder how many Church Shrinkers met with pastors and laity first before savaging them behind their backs - for the crime of criticizing Fuller doctrine. I think the grand total of Matthew 18 meetings is zero.