Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bella Vista, Arkansas


Blue jays are nesting outside our bedroom window.


Arkansas is known for its abundance of bird species. I showed visitors how bluebirds came to our large lumps of suet from Duncraft. I sent a lump home with them.

They noticed the blue jay nesting outside our bedroom window. The nest is so carefully camouflaged that I can barely find it when looking. The photo above is not mine.

We live only two hours from Branson, the place where retired people take their parents for entertainment. (Local joke) We also have many forms of live theater in this county, thanks to various organizations.

We never realized Bella Vista was organized for active retired people. We simply picked a place to live near our grandchildren. The town is organized around golf, card clubs, fishing, going to dinner, and all kinds of other activities. As someone noted, attending one newcomers meeting will lead to a host of other clubs and new friendships. No one grew up here. We are all Ishmaels.

Today we went to lunch with a couple we met at the dinner gathering. They were going to the Arkansas Wellness Center after, so we went along. We just joined. The AWC boasts two swimming pools, various gyms, billiards, a library, outdoor meeting areas, crafts, a break room, and many other features for a cost of $25 a year. Only people age 50 and up can use it. Mrs. I and the couple watched TV while using bikes, a set on each unit. I walked the circuit and used the Nautilus equipment.

Medical facilities are first-rate because of the Walmart, Tyson, and J. B. Hunt corporate centers. We are getting better care here than in Phoenix, and we were very happy with what was offered there. We found an independent pharmacy where we get great service and costs as low as the mail-in, robotic voice answering, don't give a hoot pharmacies.

We enjoy the everyday activities, such as washing and waxing the Team Jackson van with the grandchildren. We like our geezermobile, the Ichaboat. Bought from the Duggars, the Lincoln Town Car has provided great transportation at a very low cost.

Instead of worrying about the flower chart, I am growing fragrant roses for the altar. All my income is derived from sitting at my computer, teaching online, so I make my own schedule. The hours can be long, but I have a sympathetic and jovial boss - me.