Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mid-Week Lenten Vespers. March 19, 2014


Mid-Week Lenten Vespers
March 19, 2014

Pastor Gregory L. Jackson


Bethany Lutheran Worship, 7 PM Central

The Hymn #347   Jesus, Priceless Treasure            2:77     
The Order of Vespers                                             p. 41
The Psalmody                  Psalm 22                              
The Lection                            The Passion History

The Sermon Hymn #175            When I Survey            2:43  

The Sermon –   Growth and Adiaphora
 
The Prayers
The Lord’s Prayer
The Collect for Grace                                            p. 45

The Hymn #558               All Praise             2:8


KJV John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. 9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.


KJV John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

This is a beautiful passage, especially for those who know about pruning. Although most of us do not grow grapes, roses respond to the same kind of care.
Thus there are two meanings for pruning in gardening and in this sermon by Jesus.

For a rose bush, pruning has two main applications. The first one is to remove all harmful growth and dead branches. Newbies do not understand that the plant material they love on their roses is keeping the plant from doing its best. The rose may survive their lack of knowledge, but it will not thrive.

Grape vines are similar. So when diseased plant material or dead wood is pruned away. It is not left on the ground, where it will contribute to diseased. It is gathered, removed, and burned.

Plants want to go to seed. They were created by the Word to have this goal. Flowering leads to fruiting and fruiting produces the seed. Once the seed is matured, the plant wants to become dormant. 

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 

Jesus said this kind of pruning (cleansing) is to make us fruitful. We can see that on our favorite rose bushes. When the flowers are cut from the bush, new growth starts to form new branches and buds.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

Here is the essence of the Christian faith, as taught throughout the Scriptures and practiced in the Christian Church. Believers are to remain with Christ to bear fruit. If they do not, they will wither and die spiritually.

Someone can be "in church" and wither away. The entire congregation can wither away spiritually, because they do not receive the Gospel. Luther even warned that an entire nation can be lost from false doctrine, which begins with one point of doctrine. 

But in contrast, if they remain in the Means of Grace, they produce abundant fruit.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Jesus sermons are so simple yet profound, as each verse takes the message to another level in the most basic language possible.

We are simply branches of that living Body, formed by Christ. Detached from it, we die spiritually. Apart from it, no matter how outwardly successful we might seem, we are doing nothing. 

Here is the warning verse, if it were not clear enough already - 

6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

This is followed by a much longer section of Promise -

7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. 9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

If anyone wants to know how to grow in Christ, here is the passage. Dwell in Christ. Dwell in His Words. Live in them. Remember them. Repeat them in giving spiritual advice. Pray with these Promises in mind. They are all grace, given to sinners to keep their fruitful, to keep them from withering away on their own.