Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Veterans Honor Roses for Mrs. Gardener - Pure Red and Fragrant.
Double Delight for a Bonus

Veterans Honor bloomed all at once.

Double Delight added to the bouquet.
The granddaughter said, "Disney roses!"
Mrs. Gardener really enjoys red roses, so I planted Mr Lincoln along the fence and Veterans Honor in the main rose garden. The corner rose burst into bloom in the front, so I cut the best ones and put them in a vase. The Double Delight were fully bloomed, so I added them.

Family was there when I delivered the vase (and got two back). The kids wanted to smell the fragrant roses. The little girl said, "Just like Disney roses!" In one production, the roses are painted, and Double Delight roses do look painted.

I like cutting buds ready to open, because they unfold and last longer. Most people like the rose fully bloomed for show. The Double Delights were especially large and well formed.

The chewing and sucking insects seemed to have become food for the beneficial insects. I help by spraying the blooms and buds with a healthy, strong stream from the garden hose. Aphids cannot climb back if they are knocked loose.

Our Avon girl came by with an order, two vases, and went back with some roses for her mother.

No, I did not neglect Mrs. I. She admired the vase of roses the first half of the day. When I delivered the roses, I cut a new vase with Pink Peace and our first two John Paul II white, fragrant roses. John Paul II was attacked severely by rabid Lutheran insects, but now they are almost damage free.

I thought of spraying the buds and blooms with something stronger than water, but if it came to that, I would use a garlic spray instead.

Our helper mowed today. He is very impressed with the wild garden. Many flowers and plants are taking shape there - Cow Vetch, Butterfly Bush, Queen Ann's Lace, clover, and buckwheat.

John Paul II,
since he also has a degree from Notre Dame.