Monday, March 12, 2018

Sassy Sue's Goodnight Routines


I post about our three-legged wonder dog Sassy Sue so her foster parents can read the post. I promised photo updates for them, and I know they look for them, from time to time.

One of the Fox Valley sourpuss pastors complained, "He even writes about his dog." If one of them would visit a library or bookstore, it would become apparent that writing about dogs is just as popular as reading about them.

Sassy has an unusual bedtime routine. We are with her about 22 hours a day, and she is a real talker. She makes a lot of different noises and loves to have fun with us.

Sassy is half Red Healer and half German Shepherd.
She goes through the vocal range of both, and the super-smart independent nature of both breeds.


Sassy Initiates 
Sometimes, she comes up to us on the bed and taps me with her paw, grinning. That is my signal to pet her and tell her what a great dog she is, how many people love her. Then she turns to Chris and does the same thing. Settling down, Sassy falls asleep soon after.

 Sassy lost her leg from a horse kicking her and her family's subsequent neglect. The rescue society provided her operation and recovery time.
Everyone loves her gentle, loving face.


Bad Staff Evals - Sassy Is Upset
On other nights Sassy begins making low, complaining sounds. "What's up with Sassy?" I tell Chris, "Staff evaluations are in, and they are not good." Chris says, "Did we fail you again, Sassy? Miserable howls follow. So we go through things we should have done - food, walk...Frosty Paws. The mention of Frosty Paws ice cream for pets has Sassy barking loudly. Apologies follow and I promise to get the Frosty Paws.

Sassy is kind enough to show us where the food is, so she points with her nose - out the door toward the kitchen, the path to Frosty Paws. I use ordinary ice cream, and Sassy gets one teaspoon per night. But this is a non-negotiable demand, as they say, and it must be delivered for a night's sleep.




Her Head on the Bed
Another way Sassy goes to bed is to get her head under my hand, grinning at me as I pet her. She keeps her head flat on the bed and enjoys her head being stroked. We work over her ears, which really delights her. We also discuss her day and the friends she has made. She loves to hear Sassy stories and gets quite animated about her best friends.

 Every dog at the dogpark was jealous of Sassy's fame
with the ball and her retrieval of it, placing it in my hands.
We sang a song about that, and she howled for the chorus.


Must Make My Bed for the Night
Sassy may drop off to sleep in one corner of the bed, but she often needs to scratch up a nest for the night. She scratches on covers with manic glee. We keep a layer of thick old covers there for that purpose. Pillows may fly and blankets may fall off. Sometimes we stop her, but then she starts over. Sometimes she just stops and falls down in place.

 Our granddaughter held this pose while I got the camera,
but Sassy came into the frame for the laughs.
No one was hurt.


Making Us Laugh Out Loud
Sassy's funniest moves have developed over the years. She decided to scratch on an antique table to get my attention. Once she realized how funny I thought it was, she scratched and grinned me. That gesture meant, "I need something from you."

When the table was moved, she used the room air filter. We repeated the shock and then enjoyed the humor of it. When the filter was out of her reach, she began raising her paw and scratching in the air, a gesture so hilarious that I laughed every time.

Likewise, Sassy has done what all dogs have accomplished. She managed to get rewarded for going outside and coming back in. At first she glared at me until she got a tiny treat, standing still, glued to the kitchen floor. Later I promised a treat if she went to see her mom in the bedroom. So I waited in the bathroom to see what would happen. Each time Sassy stayed just inside the bedroom door and peered out to see if I was getting her treat. I tried not to laugh, but the Reaganesque "trust but verify" was too funny. I peered out my doorway each time - and still do - and see her looking out of hers.

Sassy has been called The Chauffeur
because she waits in the driver's seat and visits through the open window.