Sunday, June 20, 2021

All Day Father's Day Movies - Plus PBJs and Gardening

 "Common names include arum lily for Z. aethiopica and calla and calla lily for Z. elliottiana and Z. rehmannii, although members of the genus are neither true lilies of Liliaceae, true Arums, nor true Callas (related genera in Araceae)." - Wiki

Father's Day was enjoyable, unveiling the first Calla Lilies I have grown - Picasso. We also had Veterans Honor and Enchanted Peace Roses on the crowded altar.

For lunch, the chef made PBJs with white bread.

Turner Classic Movies featured Father's Day films, in a quirky way. We enjoyed All the King's Men, starring Broderick Crawford. I enjoyed the novel, years ago, and remembered all the characters in the book. The movie was unusually faithful to the novel by Robert Penn Warren.

That got me into studying the life of Warren, one of the few American novelists I like. The list includes Thomas Wolfe, Look Homeward Angel, and Herman Melville, Moby Dick.




A rainstorm is predicted for Monday, so I spent a few minutes digging in some Shooting Stars. Ranger Bob stopped by and wondered why I was watering part of the Rose Garden when I had predicted rain. He often forgets I am in sales, not management.

He brought flowers for Christina, and brought up the watering again. I said, "Who has more flowers in the front yard, more experience?" He said, "You have To-Die-For roses, I will give you that.

Now flowering in the front yard:
  1. Shasta Daisies
  2. Whoopsa Daisies
  3. Bee Balm
  4. Borage
  5. Cat Mint
  6. Mountain Mint
  7. Comfrey
  8. Spirea
  9. Veterans Honor Roses
  10. Enchanted Peace Roses
  11. Heirloom Roses
  12. Various other roses.
Joe Pye Weed is budding and Little Joe Pye is close to budding. 

 We have more Whoops than Daisy right now - one bloom, but there is hope.