Tuesday, February 15, 2022

My Final Meeting with the Eye Surgeon


The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, features a faded highway sign promoting Dr. T. J. Eckelburg, Oculist. The billboard is central to the theme of sin and punishment.

That is my favorite American novel of the 20th century (LOTR is my favorite British work). 


 Iconic? Purrfect.

I was a bit anxious to have my eye pressure checked, which was a bit high two weeks before. 
The surgeon came bouncing in after looking over the assistant's measurements. Eyesight was 20/20 and 20/25. Eye pressure was normal. He said, "You really were bad before the surgery."

I told him I felt like a little kid, going outside without glasses and seeing everything in brilliant color. I thanked him several times and asked if he got the Honey-belle oranges. He stopped, grinned, and said, "I heard a box was there for me, and it said To the Doctor and Staff  - Thank You for Restoring My Vision. I took four and gave the rest to the staff. I had to wash after eating one, they were so juicy."

He bounced out of the office, he was so happy with his work. 

He also suggested I figure out how to be comfortable with reading. I told him I could already work without using reading glasses at the computer. Reading glasses made me tired on the computer. I wrote this without glasses. I also did some online work without glasses. Reading a book requires them.

I came back, picked up Sassy, and we sent off a package. Sassy was a bit jilted from not going to the doctor, so I got her a burger after the post office stop.