Monday, February 13, 2023

Lost Interest in Football

 

This allium seems to be having a bad hair day. It looked good in the catalogue, so I surrendered. As a garlic, it is loved by pollinators.

A group of us gathered for supper and forgot to watch that game on TV. I did not know the score until I checked later on the Internet.

I had a live show recently in the back yard. When bird and squirrel food was short, I had no choice but to get bags of peanuts in the shell. Putting them in the three-tiered bun basket outdoors made me wonder if they would overlook the new location.

I looked out later and saw an air war of birds and squirrels, as they all vied for a chance to raid the bun baskets. Birds versus squirrels fought to get a peanut to take away. The smallest birds checked the ground for fragments.

Meanwhile, the bulbs that were cautiously showing their leaves began popping up all over the Rose Garden. The newest ones in the backyard were not showing yet. I have promised not to plant more of the hardy bulbs, but I may do a massive planting of glads when the weather is warm and ambition hot.  

Glads are very inexpensive and they overwinter quite well here. Daffodil bulbs get sold by sending the catalogues out when previously planted ones are at full bloom. That makes the vulnerable gardeners think, "I am not planting bulbs but complete flowers just waiting to reduce neighbors to envious sobbing and regrets."

Big round alliums are show-stoppers and likely to make people ask, "What are they?" Never say "garlic" but stick with the Latin name, to make them more mysterious and appealing.