Thursday, September 12, 2024

Valpo (Not a Cereal) - Melting Down - This Conflict Concerns the School Selling Off Donated Paintings

 

Museum for sale! Yoohoo!
Christina refused to attend Valpo and wisely chose Augustana College.
We met at Augie on the first day of English 101.

In a related development, Richard Brauer, the museum's founding director and namesake, formally withdrew his efforts to intervene in the university's petition to the Porter Superior Court.


According to a press release from Brauer, the decision to withdraw was driven as a result of mounting legal pressure.


"It was a very difficult decision. The university was threatening me, and my attorney, who was representing me pro bono, with sanctions if the court rejected my petition to intervene. The thought of that fight made me sick to my stomach. A 97-year-old man, and the attorney working for free, facing untold thousands of dollars in sanctions and fines? It was not a position I could afford to be in. I did not want my heir paying fines to Valparaiso University over my decision to try and save the museum which bears my name," Brauer said.


Brauer, who sought to prevent the sale, emphasized that his involvement stemmed from a desire to protect the legacy of Sloan, the benefactor whose trust funded the museum's collection.


"The University President signed a sworn pleading that I had ventured far from Sloan's intent," Brauer said. "Sloan's collection included multiple works of what the university now deems 'non-conservative paintings.' I applied to intervene to identify the inconsistencies and inaccuracies in the university's petition as it pertained to me, and in the process recover my good name. I will now let the university face the consequences of its efforts."


Following declining enrollment, the university's annual expenses have grown exponentially. The projected operating deficit for the 2023-2024 fiscal year is $9 million.


"I still hold out hope the President and the Board of Directors will back away from this very dangerous wager. If they do sell the paintings, however, I will ask to have my name removed from the museum, as I will be ashamed to have my name associated with this affair," Brauer said.


Very unseemly.  Published, though, I think, in the Valpo newsletter - The Torch.

+++

Dave Benke

It's OK to Pray

***

GJ - Colleges and universities are shutting down, due to trends that were perfectly obvious 35 years ago (ELCA born, 1989). WELS DP John Seifert said to the pastors, "In a few years you will not recognize the Wisconsin Synod." The incompetence and abuse of funds in the Big Five are a warning (ignored) for the future.

    I remember the WELS SP (Synod Poltroon) who said, "If we spend more than $8 million dollars, we will pull the plug on Martin Luther College." Soon after he said, "They already have the bulldozers there!" According to one source, they spent $30 million." That genius SP was previously hauled into court for wasting the funds given to a widow and forced to pay a million to her (so I heard). A Circuitous Pastor said, "We will have to be more careful about the funds we accept." I know someone who still laughs about that gigantic fib. It was the deceased fault that he donated a business to WELS (Giving Counselor alert)! But that is the way they are - antinomians who cannot be wrong because they were born (preferably in Wisconsin) guilt-free, absolved, righteous.

    More could be said.

Like LCMS sheep, WELS chased after the worst of the worst - including the gay Roman Catholic Archbishop, now attending his honorary roast.



This fellow was not the gay pope at GA.