Saturday, February 6, 2010

ELCA Bishop Confused - It's a Bully Pulpit - Not a Pulpit Bully



The Rev. Dr. Gary M. Wollersheim
Bishop

Chief Operating Officer, Spiritual Leader, Teacher of the Faith,
Pastor to all, and Servant of the Synod above all Synods - ELCA
815-964-9934
bishop@nisynod.org


Gary's response to our requested meeting




February 4, 2010


Ms. K---- M-----
Congregational Council Secretary
Faith Lutheran Church
1611 41st Street
Moline , IL 61265

Dear Ms. M------ and Congregational Council members of Faith Lutheran Church :

Grace, mercy and peace be unto you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I find the request to meet with me from the Congregational Council of Faith Lutheran Church to be inconsistent with your past behavior.

I have made offers to meet with members of Faith Lutheran Church but they have either been ignored or refused. I have even suggested dates and times when I would be available.

I have written your pastor on several occasions and my letters for the most part have not been answered.

An attorney from Faith Lutheran Church has attempted to limit my contact with congregational members even though I serve as the pastor of the Northern Illinois Synod.

When the properly instituted Northern Illinois Synod Consultation Team was scheduled to conduct interviews at Faith Lutheran Church they were refused access to the Church building and were threatened: “This team will not be allowed to enter our property and will be removed by the Moline Police Department if they attempt to do so. “

I have also been accused by members of Faith Lutheran Church of being a liar and denying the basic tenants of the Christian faith as confessed in the Apostles’ Creed. These accusations are absolutely false and are a clear violation of the Eighth Commandment and Luther’s meaning:

“You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.”

“What does this mean?” ‘We are to fear and love God so that we do not betray, slander, or lie about our neighbor, but defend him, speak well of him, and explain his actions in the kindest way.’

Now, if you still wish to meet with me, I will need some explanation of the above behavior. Then we will need to agree on the purpose of said meeting and the agenda. After this is accomplished, I am willing to receive Congregational Council members only, at my office at 103 West State Street , Rockford . An appointment may be made through my administrative assistant, Ms. Julie Lewis. You may reach Ms. Lewis at (815) 964-9934.

In Christ,
Bishop Gary M. Wollersheim

Hard copy mailed to:
Ms. K---- M-------
Faith Lutheran Church
1611 41st Street
Moline , IL 61265


Bishop Gary M. Wollersheim
Northern Illinois Synod
103 W. State Street
Rockford, IL 61101
Phone: (815) 964-9934
Fax: (815) 964-2295
Email: bishop@nisynod.org