Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Heavy Rain Turned to Sleet, Which Morphed into a Blowing Snowstorm.
We May Lose the Ustream Signal But Will Try



Yesterday, the state's largest Walmart told me they had no snowmelt and no snow shovels of any kind. I only wanted snowmelt. So I asked about water softener tablets. 

They directed me back to the gardening area, and I found stacks of pool salt and water softener pellets. On the way out a staffer asked if I needed anything. I said, "You claim to be out of snowmelt, but pool salt and water softener are the same." She said, "They are?" I said, "Yes, so don't tell people you are out. You could empty your supplies today." She said she would tell the manager. 

"Water softener works too?" I said, "Yes, it does."

The rain fell all night and turned to ice this morning. I was salting my driveway and our two neighbors' driveways. Our neighbor across the street needed salt, so I gave him the rest of the 40 pound bag. I had a spare 40 pound bag. Everything began canceling today and should be shut down tomorrow.

This area faces the Kobayashi Maru scenario each winter. If they order snowblowers, shovels, and snowmelt for a tough winter, no one will buy them until that winter arrives - if it ever does. If an enormous storm shuts down NW Arkansas, everyone wants shovels, salt, and snowblowers. The supplis are always short when they are needed. So I ordered snowmelt from Amazon to be sure and bought pool salt just in case. I will be out of both by tomorrow. I hope Sam's Club has a sale on table salt.

After this, it should get warmer.

Given the size the of the storm, we might have blackouts during the service. If it shuts down the second time, I will stop trying. Experience has shown that several shutdowns in a row mean several more to come.

But we will try. Doubtless few will drive to any church today.


We see this little guy every day, checking out the suet.