Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Varieties in Elderberries, Blue Berries, Apples - More Fruit Production


Long ago, when I failed to grow blueberries in Midland, I knew that they grew more berries when different varieties were grown together. I had three varieties that died together. Blueberries like bad soil and rough conditions, especially if the soil is acidic.

Lately I learned this cross-pollination is also true of apples and elderberries. I bought two different elderberries from Almost Eden Gardens and Nursery. The owner made sure I had two varieties, the ones listed below.

https://www.garden.org/ediblelandscaping/?page=july_elderberry
  • 'Adams' - This American variety grows 8 to 10 feet tall. The large, juicy, dark purple fruits ripen in August and are great for making pies. The strong branches hold the berries upright. Plant a pollinator variety such as 'Johns' for maximum fruiting. This variety is often sold as 'Adams No. 1' or 'Adams No. 2'. There is little difference between these two selections.
  • Johns' - This early-producing American variety produces an abundance of berries that are especially good for making jelly. Growing 12 feet tall and wide, this variety is a good pollinator for 'Adams'.
So I learned that elderberries are partially self-fruitful, a mouthful to express that they can pollinate themselves but would rather have another variety participate. The other variety can be within 60 feet of its relative. I am not sure if that needs to be a ratio when many are being cultivated at once.

No website visited so far has indicated why this is so. Most answers are pooled ignorance where various gardeners discuss the issue without shedding light on it.

I have my two majestic plants at the doorway to the wild garden. They are in good soil, mulched in cardboard and shredded cypress. I may buy more of them for the wild garden, because they are attractive, useful, and create a good screen.

I harvested cherry tomatoes before the storm. We might have rain on Wednesday and Thursday to supplement the storm-a-geddon on Tuesday. That will boost all the plants and help the new additions.

I will make another try at carrots and beans. Knowing how easy they are to grow, I am sure the rabbits got the sprouts. But, on the lighter side, the other more valuable plants were growing while the rabbits were munching on the new sprouts.

Prolific and easy to grow - I like those words.
Elderberries have been considered medicinal since ancient times.