Friday, March 27, 2020

Sassy and I - The Sharp Tip of the Spear - 6 AM at Walmart


Walmart opens an hour early here, for those of a certain age. I was awake at 5 and decided to make the run. Sassy wanted to go along, so she jumped in the back of our modified Abrams tank, which looks just like a 2002 Voyager.

I was the first to enter at 6 AM, so I saw the largest WM at its best, after the night crew had all night for stocking, without customers to slow them down. Others followed me in, probably to buy what was least available, paper products, eggs, and a few other items.

The produce area looked great. I bought some sweet potatoes for Christina and tangerines for me. I looked for a few other things and went to the two paper aisles. I know how much we took from the back room on normal days, trying to snug everything into place, when I worked at a Neighborhood Market. The toilet paper aisle had about 20 packages (one per customer, please). Paper towels were similar, the aisle mostly empty, with a few packages of one or two rolls each.

 Sassy's favorite part of the evening is the delivery of one teaspoon of "Frosty Paws", but she gets real ice cream.


That is quite a sight, almost empty aisles at 6 AM - at the largest WM in the state. Beer, soft drinks, and snacks were packed full.

Sassy waited in the car, but reminded me with some sharp yips that we needed to stop at McDonalds. She enjoyed a bacon, egg, cheese and an ice cream cone. A young lady - who loves dogs and our dog too - talked to Sassy about her breakfast. Sassy is not sure I will order the complete meal her way, so she interrupts with loud barks. She sees the cashiers at the main point of contact, so she has plenty to say when we drive up to pay.