Monday, March 22, 2021

Happy Birthday - Louis L'Amour

 

 Louis L'Amour, nee Lamoore, born March 22, 1908, was Reagan's favorite author.

Louis L’Amour: the Chronicler of Americanism


Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/03/louis_lamour_the_chronicler_of_americanism.html#ixzz6ppcB3rAS
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook


March 22 is the birthday of the iconic writer Louis L’Amour, a man whose name became synonymous with the American frontier and whose novels promoted old-fashioned patriotism and morality. America sorely misses his kind.

***

 This could be our Sackett, tough, loyal, independent, and high IQ.


GJ - I began reading L'Amour novels in Arizona and once taught a course in Western literature.

One family name featured in his books was Sackett, the name given to our first Australian Cattle Dog. She was true to her breed, extremely shy around strangers, very loyal to me, and the toughest dog I have known.

Sacky did not overtly warm up to Christina for years. Our neighbor's son was quite sure that his ACD was just as shy and stuck on one person. One day he was leaving in his truck and called to Chuckie, again and again. He was shocked to find out Chuckie was saying goodbye to me, unbidden. We are still buddies, but Bo and Sassy snarl Chuckie away.

Sacky was supposed to be our outside dog, so she was edged outside the first night. I heard her crawl on her belly inside, through the French door, into the corner where she could be close to me and supposedly unseen. I smiled falling asleep. When I opened my eyes, she crawled quietly on her belly out the door. She got to keep her corner and loved sleeping there on her little blue cushion.

When she landed on a prickly pear cactus while playing catch with me in the yard, she reached down, yanked out the needle, and went back to playing.

Sacky taught herself to wash her dusty toys. She used the big pan we reserved for both dogs to wash their feet. Sacky, without training, dropped her plastic toy in the water and spun it around until it was clean enough. 

I agreed to play catch with her as long as she brought the toy back to me, not six feet away. We had a standoff on that issue until she trembled, screamed, and gave in. From that moment on she delivered the toy to my side.