Monday, June 21, 2021

A Female Cardinal Stopped By Today - I Was Honored

 This was a fashion event, and Cardinal Dolan loaned his best fish-hat for the occasion.

Wrong cardinal! My graphics department is stretching the truth a bit.

 By Norma A. Boeckler

I hoped for a storm last night, though the midnight rain was given a small percentage. As predicted, the morning rain began to fall in earnest - if rain is ever earnest - and brightened my day. I stood on the front porch and - a cardinal flew by me,  a few feet away. 

That was not enough. The female cardinal came back and rested on the top of the hummingbird feeder. I had not put seed on the hot sunny days. Now the message was clear - "Leave some food on the porch!" 

Cardinals love to sing for their meals, and I enjoy seeing them as regulars. One day a juvenile male cardinal fed at the kitchen window sill, oblivious to my stares.

Rain came thundering down and gave us a total of two inches. Ranger Bob thought I was foolishly watering before the storm. The rain-barrels were full again.

The recently cleared Rose Garden was absent predatory weeds and supercharged for the tall plants - clethra, Joe Pye - and lower plants - roses, mints - and bejeweled green cover full of low growing wild strawberries, with tiny yellow flowers and glowing red fruit.

When we had newly arrived coffee on the porch this evening, bees were working over the bee balm. I have seen them use the bird bath for a sip of water, but the rain left plenty on everything.