Wednesday, January 12, 2022

What Tastes Good When Really Hungry? - Answer - Everything!


I only had BelVita crackers for breakfast, with pour-over coffee from Costa Rica. I was not really hungry until lunch, which was the perfect time to try some new foods.

I picked chickpeas or gorbanza beans.

Chickpeas boast an impressive nutritional profile.

They contain a moderate number of calories, providing 269 per cup (164 grams). Approximately 67% of these calories come from carbs, while the rest comes from protein and fat (1Trusted Source).

Chickpeas also provide a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as a decent amount of fiber and protein. A 1-cup (164-gram) serving of cooked chickpeas offers (1Trusted Source):

  • Calories: 269
  • Protein: 14.5 grams
  • Fat: 4 grams
  • Carbs: 45 grams
  • Fiber: 12.5 grams
  • Manganese: 74% of the Daily Value (DV)
  • Folate (vitamin B9): 71% of the DV
  • Copper: 64% of the DV
  • Iron: 26% of the DV
  • Zinc: 23% of the DV
  • Phosphorus: 22% of the DV
  • Magnesium: 19% of the DV
  • Thiamine: 16% of the DV
  • Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
  • Selenium: 11% of the DV
  • Potassium: 10% of the DV
They tasted much better than red kidney beans, but were a bit dull in flavor. I added almonds, walnuts, and blueberries, all three tasty and loaded with beneficial nutrients.

Fuhrman promotes green, leafy vegetables because a huge serving provides no calories, plenty of healthy nutrition, and satisfies. I bought balsamic vinegar dressing for a mixed selection of greens.

This was a plunge, because I associate lettuce with unpleasant eating, especially when my mother found out I was hiding my portion behind the curtains. (Note to self - throw away what is hidden!)

The salad was delicious, especially because I was still hungry. I finished with an orange, my first for the day, but not the last. Envy apples were in the fridge cooling. They are juicy, a bit tart and a bit sweet.

Fuhrman is right - this kind of eating is very filling, but it does not make me feel stuffed, as the SAD diet does (Standard American Diet). I am going to have an apple or two. One giant apple later - that Envy was good.