Wednesday, April 26, 2023

God's Creation Garden

 

 Empress Hosta - too big?

I had a surprise when I looked over the newly trimmed Rose Garden. I saw a trio of blue hosta plants, young and growing well. They looked just like the ones I transplanted to the green fence area, where I have shade and sunlight. Like several other hostas, these three left enough root stock to start over, even though I imagined  I dug up the entire plant.




Another surprise was seeing a hosta plantation in the green fence area, along the chain-link fence, etc. We had a real drought last fall, but these came back like steroid test samples. It was a combination of transplanting and watering.

 Blue Elegens is popular.

Hostas are fascinating with so many different styles, colors, and leaf textures. King Charles III and I are quite fond of them for use in semi-shade, but even more for their hummingbird attracting flowers. Mr. Gardener got me started on hostas for hummers, so I have increased the population of both.

Many efforts to grow new hostas have failed, thanks to rabbits and other creatures, but enough plant remains to coax the remnants into mature examples.

Never Ignore a Dog at a Hardware Store

I was at Lowe's garden center to browse when I spotted a small grey terrier sitting on his pillow in a cart. He showed a great interest in me, stood up on his pillow and leaned toward me. I stretched out my right hand knuckles since they serve as a reliable safety test with nippy dogs. He began licking off each knuckle, as if I had recently kneaded bread dough at home. When that was done - very thoroughly - I began to lower my arm. No! He reached out and with his paw gently pulled my arm back for another round of affection. I was impressed that he used his claws so gently.

So many delightful things happen all the time. 


Lady, perhaps a Doberman and Chihauhau mix, came over to visit with Ranger Bob. I call Lady a Dobie-wa-wa since she has acute guard dog habits and a small, energetic frame, bulging big eyes. Next door the Great Pyranee, always looking for attention, ached for a race along the fence. I had to start them going, but once they got in gear, they were racing in big circles along the fence and around the yard.

Clethra, the Cinnabon bush, is leafing out. One failed in the front yard, but several others are growing, along with the original. Also called Sweet Spice, Summersweet, and Poor Man's Soap.