Wednesday, October 13, 2010

ELCA Editor of The Lutheran An Ichabodian


Did Pope John the Malefactor give Bishop Mark Hanson lessons in throwing away congregations?


Dr. Jackson:

Greetings from Chicago. I wrote a column in the October issue of The Lutheran, magazine of the ELCA, that included the following quote:

"The most dangerous sin of all is the presumption of righteousness," which is attributed to Martin Luther (http://www.thelutheran.org/article/article.cfm?article_id=9348) . I found this quote on your web page, as well as another which I now cannot locate.

I received the following request from a reader: "Could you cite the German work[s] by Martin Luther which has/have this English-translated quote? I would like to read [it] in context."

I've searched but have been unable to fine it. There is a similar quote in his Lecture on Galatians ("crush that brute which is called the presumption of righteousness." I realize it could come from the kitchen conversations as well as his letters, but those are very difficult to search.

Do you have the cite for the quote, and if so, would you share it with me?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Daniel J. Lehmann
Editor
"The Lutheran," magazine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
www.thelutheran.org
daniel.lehmann@thelutheran.org
fax: 773.380.2409
8765 W. Higgins Rd.
Chicago, IL 60631-4101

***

GJ - Long ago, I wrote for The Lutheran magazine, every so often. I thought the email was interesting because the ELCA editor has read this blog enough to think he got a quotation from here. I did a lot of searching for him--from the blog and the legendary Megatron database--but did not find the quotation, which I did not recall in the first place. He found it later in another source.

Just think - your own comments are being read all over the world, by many different denominations.

---