Friday, June 27, 2008

North of the Border - The Future of Big Tent Lutheranism



This is one way to get The Moose Report into this post.


I looked up the congregation where I was a vicar, St. Peter's Lutheran in Kitchener, Ontario. The supervising pastor, Henry H. W. Opperman, was old-fashioned, traditional, mocked as Bishop Heine by the hip clergy. I just read that the current intermim senior pastor is the Episcopalian Bishop (retired). I wonder what the old-timers would say.

The St. Peter's website linked the Eastern Canada Synod website, where I saw the links below about the illegal ordination of late. That's the way to push an agenda. Break the rules, gather support, and make the violation the norm.

The founder of my seminary walked to America from Canada to get ministers for the Canadians. He helped start the seminary where I attended. The first theologian there was famous for being one of the genuine orthodox pastors. Dr. Robert Preus knew his work and liked it. Now this. Read the links if you wish. They are PDFs from the gutless Lutheran bishop:

Be Nice - Follow the rules when you violate the Scriptures and Confessions.

Do not cross the bishop, my fellow clergy. This is not a threat.