Tuesday, April 23, 2019

The Path To Understanding Justification - Psalm 22 and Isaiah


Psalm 22 Portrays the Crucifixion 

My Old Testament graduate students are stunned by Isaiah 53 and the clear prediction of the crucifixion in Psalm 22.
Jesus’ cry from the cross – 
Psalm 22:1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
The mockery of the crowd around the cross – 
Psalm 22: 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. 7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 8 He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.
The hostility of everyone, the crowd, religious and Roman officials, abandonment –
Psalm 22:11 Be not far from me; for trouble is near; for there is none to help. 12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round. 13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
The effect of flogging, beating, and crucifixion –
Psalm 22:14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels. 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
Details of the crucifixion, being nailed to the cross –
Psalm 22: 16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
The division of Jesus’ clothes, but rolling dice for the seamless garment –
Psalm 22: 18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture. Jesus’ ministry was declaring the glory of the Father and being obedient to Him –
Psalm 22: 22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Justification by faith in His righteousness will follow –
Psalm 22:31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

20

This is only a sample of what can be taught from Psalm 22, so the student of the Bible can see what a powerful foundation was built for Justification in Jewish study of the Law, Prophets, and Writings – another name for the Old Testament – and in their worship services. One can encapsulate some of this foundational teaching in the Virgin Birth of Isaiah 7:14, His divine nature and roles in Isaiah 9:6-7, His atoning death in Isaiah 53, and the divine power of the Holy Spirit in the Word in Isaiah 55:8-11.
Nothing in the New Testament is contrary to the Old Testament, so the Justification so clearly taught in Genesis 15:6 onward is revealed in the glory of God’s grace in the Gospels, articulated with great clarity in Paul’s letters.