Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Retired ELCA Pastor - ALPB Forum. Sioux City Iowa No Longer Feels Like Home




--
I don’t know then what to make of the fact that two recent young pastors and a seminarian I met seemed very much like myself, no visible tats, formal liturgical presence in the chancel and (I think) preachers who know how to use scripture.
But then, one was female and one was gay.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Long-time New York/New Jersey. Just spent 4 days in Sioux City, where I spent the first 22 years of my life. Some things are the same, many have changed. But the feelings of “home” and place are mostly gone. Nostalgia has faded.  This is no longer “my“ place.


 Nadia

Pastor Bolz-Weber is not the theology Of the ELCA.

Charles Austin (left) and ELCA Bishop Tracie.

The current graduates of our ELCA seminaries resemble Pastor Bolz-Weber (in dress, language, sexual ethics and theology) far more than they resemble you or me.