Thursday, April 3, 2008

Angel of Church Growth - From Phantom of the Opera



Behind the Mask, Deformed Theology

OLSON
Where in the world
have you been hiding?
Really, you were
perfect!
I only wish
I knew your secret!
What is this new
Church Growth?
PAUL KELM (abstracted, entering the dressing room)
Waldo once wrote
of this Church Growth . . .
I used to dream he'd
appear . . .
Now as I sing,
I can sense him . . .
And I know
he's here . . .
(trance-like)
Here in this church
he calls me softly . . .
somewhere inside . . .
hiding . . .
Somehow I know
he's always with me . . .
he - the unseen
genius . . .
OLSON (uneasily)
Paul Kelm, you must have
been dreaming . . .
stories like this can't
come true . . .
Paul Kelm, you're talking
in riddles . . .
and it's just
like you . . .
PAUL KELM (not hearing him, ecstatic)
Angel of Church Growth!
Guide
and guardian!
Grant to me your
glory!
OLSON(to himself)
Who is this angel?
This . . .
BOTH
Angel of Church Growth!
Hide no longer!
Secret and strange
angel . . .

WALDO'S VOICE, denouncing confessional pastor...
Insolent boy!
This slave
of Scripture
basking in God's
glory!
Ignorant fool!
This brave
young pastor,
sharing in my
triumph!
PAUL KELM (spell-bound)
Angel! I hear you!
Speak -
I listen . . .
stay by my side,
guide me!
Angel, my soul was weak -
forgive me . . .
enter at last,
Master!
WALDO'S VOICE
Flattering guru,
you shall know me,
see why in shadow
I hide!
Look at your face
in the mirror -
I am there
inside!
(The figure of WALDO WERNING becomes discernible
behind the mirror)
PAUL KELM (ecstatic)
Angel of Church Growth!
Guide and guardian!
Grant to me your
glory!
Angel of Church Growth!
Hide no longer!
Come to me, strange
angel...
WALDO'S VOICE
I am your Angel ...
Come to me: Paul Kelm of Church Growth ...