Sunday, October 25, 2009

MLC Video Comment - But Wait - Does Everyone Know the Entire Concept Was Copied from Another Group?




Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Mary Lou College's Own Flock of Seagulls--or--Girls Gone Wild...":

I suppose one could chalk it up to "college humor" and call it quits. But there is an element of mean-spirited sarcasm and deprecation be it the older NWC or current MLC variety. If one has ever been on the receiving end or seen someone on the receiving end of the supposedly "just done in jest" remarks, one can but cringe at the snarky jokes, skits, etc. One would hope most have moved beyond that. It's pathetic when it doesn't happen. The pattern, once ingrained, rears its ugly head again and again. In WELSdom, it's so difficult to tackle an issue objectively without someone interjecting a college-era assessment of so and so. Those off-hand remarks hijack the issue-at-hand and turn it into character defamation. The esoteric nature of the humor is pretty much lost on those outside the circle. Not that anybody really cares though. The circle is limited to start with. Grow up and leave the schoolboy ways behind.

***

GJ - The Shrinkers in WELS are thin-skinned but really caustic in their "just joking" comments. Someone anonymously claimed I ruined the reputations of these kids by embedding their video. They produced the video, recording it without any suggestions from me, and--behold--posted the video to YouTube for all the world to watch and enjoy.

Here is the real scandal - the entire video is a bad copycat version of Party in the FIP, which has 2 million views. I stumbled on it while looking for more information on the MLC one. I will embed the code for both.



nycfudge
August 24, 2009


Music Video to Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA" Filmed with my Flip Video mino HD
Music Video to Miley Cyrus' "Party in the USA"

Filmed with my Flip Video mino HD
Category: Music



beilke22
October 07, 2009

http://tinyurl.com/yhgwql7 This is our dorm video for Summit dorm at MLC, Homecoming 2009. Thanks to the fellas of FIP for the inspiration. [Inspiration? Intellectual theft with a vague reference is not inspiration.]


So we have a real hoot. The kids have shamed themselves, WELS, and MLC by stealing an original idea and presenting it as their own. I would say they had a great future ahead of them - except the Shrinkers are shrinking in number. They have hitched their wagons to a falling star.

I will let the readers compare the two versions.
---

DK has left a new comment on your post "MLC Video Comment - But Wait - Does Everyone Know ...":

Ok Professor

Let me apologize to you and others.

This completely changes it. I've commented regarding the video and I've criticized people who call this video a sin--I'd like to revise...Totally!

If the MLC video had been an original, not a parody of a video done by openly recognized homosexuals (filmed at a gay and lesbian resort), I would stand by my earlier opinion. In that case it would've just been a silly bunch of kids making fun of a song.

But as it is, I think the MLC students involved gave a whole lot of credence to the homosexual lifestyle. Seeing the original video makes me wonder if some of the MLC students are gay themselves. I mean, I'm pretty sure their (sic) not, but I think it's logical for an observer to wonder.

I know I was defending their actions as "childish but not wrong" but seeing the gay video made me do a 180--they've undeniably associated themselves to gay culture. I believe that making the video was wrong, and the fact that they called it "Party in the MLC" annihilates MLC's credibility as a religious school. In fact I think I might be writing the Dean of Students at MLC.

Why shouldn't these students be expelled?

If this is not (in essence) a public statement by certain future WELS pastors and teachers that homosexuality is a laughing matter, then what would it take?? And if MLC doesn't discipline those students isn't it reasonable to believe that MLC is officially permissive of gayness?

I'm very sorry that I didn't look into the issue further before forming an opinion and criticizing people as too stringent.

***

GJ - Your apology is accepted. Now MLC should apologize to WELS. Not long ago SP Schroeder took on ELCA for its endorsement of homosexuality. This video is certainly a backwards step. I had more information about the original FIP video, once I found it, but that information was not something I wanted to discuss.


I do not find the MLC copy-cat version cool, funny, or creative. True, it is even worse when the original is viewed. The MLC video is worse in several respects. The crotch-grabber would qualify in many communities as cause for arrest for public indecency. Does MLC have any standards at all? Wait, I remember - their favorite keynote speaker is Paul Calvin Kelm. Doctrinal apostasy always bears fruit.