Monday, May 16, 2011
ALPB's Online Forum is a good source for what is going on in ELCA and among the ELCA wannabees in the Missouri Synod.
A more completed report of yesterday's votes:
1. ST. JOHN LUTHERAN CHURCH, STARBUCK, MN unanimously passed second vote to leave the ELCA.
2. FRANKLIN LUTHERAN CHURCH (SOLDIER'S GROVE) VIROQUA, WI passed second vote to leave the ELCA, 38-19. LCMC
3. HOPE LUTHERAN CHURCH, LADYSMITH, WI passed first vote to leave the ELCA, 113-21.
4. SALEM LUTHERAN CHURCH, SALISBURY, NC passed second vote to leave the ELCA 199-14. Joining NALC and LCMC.
5. CHRIST THE KING LUTHERAN CHURCH, YANKTON, SD passed second vote to leave the ELCA and join NALC..
6. PEACE LUTHERAN CHURCH, EDMOND, OK passed second vote to leave the ELCA.
7. DENNY PARK LUTHERAN CHURCH, SEATTLE, WA unanimously passed second vote to leave the ELCA. Joined LCMC.
8. ZION LUTHERAN CHURCH, KENT, WA passed second vote to leave the ELCA, 88%. Joined LCMC.
What Barnhart didn't report that I have knowledge of is that Peace Lutheran in Edmond OK also voted to join NALC.
GJ - One figure I read was that 600,000 members have left ELCA in recent years. A small slice of that number would have rebuilt the Little Sect on the Prairie and propped up WELS for a few more years. The trouble is - the Syn Conference is trying to be Second Rate Babtist, if that, and ELCA members know that script already. ELCA leaders also attended Fuller and pushed the Shrinker movement on their missions.
In one year, the Bishops' Church, NALC, became as large in the number of its parishes as the ELS, and garnered a $1 million gift as a bonus.
What did the Syn Conference get from the Schwan Foundation's avalanche of funds? They built some cathedrals in honor their straying sugar daddy, which is appropriate. Those who adulterate the Gospel will always gravitate toward an adulterer and preach him into heaven while he is still alive.
WELS doubled its spending without increasing its giving, so everyone got used to lavish salaries and perks at The Guilt Factory.
All three groups threw up big buildings to glorify themselves. Scholarships might have attracted students and provided a better start in church careers.
A lot of money was blown on staff salaries and perks, luxurious trips for DP pals, etc.
Thoughts of Faith became the WPA of the ELS-WELS, thanks to misuse of Schwan money.
I imagine the same thing happened with Missouri, because Marvin gave a lot to them for the same supposed purpose.
The ELCA departures show that people will abandon Holy Mother Synod when the conditions are right. I used to hear LCA, then WELS leaders denounce the "Us versus them" attitude among congregations. ELCA has shown that it is indeed Us Activists versus You Troglodytes.
I doubt there would be many ELS or WELS members left now, if they knew the truth about their own Holy Mother Synods.
The bullying manifested in Fox Valley and Austin Texas is just a glimpse into an abusive sect.