Wednesday, March 14, 2012

All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night.
Hymn 558. The Lutheran Hymnal


"All Praise to Thee, My God, This Night"
by Thomas Ken, 1637-1711

1. All praise to Thee, my God, this night
For all the blessings of the light.
Keep me, oh, keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thy own almighty wings.

2. Forgive me, Lord, for Thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done
That with the world, myself and Thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.

3. Teach me to live that I may dread
The grave as little as my bed.
Teach me to die that so I may
Rise glorious at the awe-ful Day.

4. Oh, may my soul on Thee repose,
And may sweet sleep mine eyelids close,
Sleep that shall me more vigorous make
To serve my God when I awake.

5. When in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heavenly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No powers of darkness me molest.

6. Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host:
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Hymn #558 from The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ps. 91:4
Author: Thomas Ken, 1695, cento
First Tune, Composer: Thomas Tallis, c. 1567
First Tune: "Tallis' Canon"
Second Tune, Composer: Charles F. Gounod, 1893, arr.
Second Tune: "Evening Hymn"


KJV Psalm 91:4 He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust: His truth shall be
thy shield and buckler.