Tuesday, May 17, 2011

We Do Not Know If This Is True Until WELS Denies It

Casual about doctrine too; approved by WELS.


From My Email:

I belong to a missionary group that serves the nations of Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan and India, fighting to bring Christ to the Muslims.

Recently, the head of this missionary group made his way into Pakistan to check on one of the churches. 

The pastor of this church had been tortured by Muslims and was in the hospital with his wounds.  The wife had been conducting Sunday services in his absence...trying to hold the little church together.

(Oh, BTW, the church is connected with WELS.)

Knowing this was not biblical for her to do the pastoring, but also understanding the exceptional circumstances, she then asked the director to conduct the services that Sunday since he was; 1) Going to be available 2) male 3) a baptized and confirmed member of WELS. (HOWEVER, his little mission group is not affiliated with WELS....)

Shortly after, they kicked BOTH her and her husband out of WELS for allowing a non-fellowship pastor to preach.

The director of our missionary group e-mailed me, knowing that I know A LOT of what goes on behind the scenes of the various synods.  I told him the pastor and his wife were not kicked out for allowing you to preach.  WELS hid behind you!  They didn't want HER doing the Sunday services!  However, under the extreme circumstances of her husband being tortured FOR CHRIST by Muslims, WELS would look like a complete bunch of jerks if they kicked them out under those particular circumstance. (A woman in a leadership role....while her husband recoups from torture wounds....)

I told him; "You were the catalyst....you lit the match for WELS that Sunday!"

I just thought I'd send this along, and if you want, toss it out for discussion.  It is an exceptional situation all the way around and once again, puts WELS in the spotlight. (I am sure you will be hearing/reading about this very soon....)

J.J.

***

GJ - I received this email. I do not know how WELS can kick out anyone over women leading men in worship. They did not kick out Ski and his WELS buddies for worshiping with Babtist Andy Stanley and bragging about it.

If someone has a different account of this, feel free to post a comment. Unlike other bloggers, I seldom stop a comment from being posted.