Saturday, June 7, 2014

New Arkansas Music Pavillion - Walmart Saturday Meeting

Built in nine months - the New AMP.


Mrs. Ichabod and I kept wondering about this strange structure, seen from I-49 (nee I-540). We thought the recent windstorm had blown vital supports askew, something that happened on the new bridge near the Hoover Dam, years ago.

But no, they were finishing the New Walmart Arkansas Music Pavillion. I went to the Saturday Morning Meeting with LI. We went extra early, getting there about 6:30 AM. We sat almost in the front row and enjoyed hearing the Ace of Cakes talk about decorating cakes.

I could sink my teeth into this job.


The meeting was almost cancelled, due to severe storm warnings. As you can see, it is a glorified tent, seating around 4,000 people. I suggested jackets, not knowing it was outdoors. We were quite comfortable with the warm breezes and occasional gusts.

The wind whistled through the structure, making it sound like a vast sailboat. Because the sides are wide open, the rapidly moving cloud formations intrigued the audience. At the end the clouds darkened and began to rain a bit. We did the WAL-MART cheer with our eyes on the best exit paths.

A fine mist began when we got to the Icha-boat, which had recently returned from a 1200 mile round-trip cruise to Moline. On the way into the meeting, one car fanatic questioned me closely about how well it ran, my gas mileage, and the ride. We achieve 24 mpg on way up to Moline. The ride? Pillow-top mattress. Or, as 29A said, "Like being in a baby buggy."