Sunday, August 24, 2014

Monarch Butterfly on the Sunflowers


People complain about the lack of butterflies, but do they plant butterfly flowers? If all goes well, I will have butterfly bush and butterfly weed in my yard. For now, sunflowers are attracting all kinds of attention. Next year I will buy sunflower seed by the pound (mammoth or striped - giant Russian) and have rows of them to amuse and intimidate.

Yesterday, after I pruned our roses with grandson Alex, I found a Monarch butterfly on the sunflowers. A variety of flowers will provide a constant food source for all the pollinating creatures. Parsley attracts the Black Swallowtail, which I saw as soon as I had parsley growing on compost (upside-down turf) in Midland. My parsley was so sublime that the Parsley Patch owner came over to harvest it to sell to the fancy French restaurant in town.


You can buy this butterfly notecard from Norma Boeckler's Zazzle website - CreatingIsFun.



My mystery novel is named Metamorphosis, which will make sense by the end of the book.