Saturday, November 15, 2014

We Heard George W. Bush Today - Walmart Meeting, BBQ, Batman Gifts.
Composting the Leaves

George W. Bush came to Bentonville, Arkansas
to promote his book about his father, George H. W. Bush.
We went extra early to the Walmart Saturday Morning Meeting, to hear to his former staffer Dan Bartlett interview him. 
Dan Bartlett now works for Walmart.
W. fascinated the audience as he spoke about his father, his presidency, and his father's. He brought down the house by admitting his birth at Yale New Haven hospital was a political mistake.

LI was born at the same hospital. Chris and I worked at the Yale Medical complex. She helped a famous professor, Dr. Joan Fassler, with research - as she had at the University of Waterloo. I gathered and copied medical articles for researchers in a government program.

More than once I wore LI in a baby carrier and met Chris at the Yale Medical Library, our joint employer. I found it convenient to leave the Yale Shuttle Bus for a Baskin Robbins French Vanilla malted. The owner asked, "How much malt?" I told the owner, a fan of malteds, "I want enough to make me cough." He said, "I know what you mean."

Laura Bush came another time to promote her book, charming everyone,
but we have not seen the current president or his wife.
Friends went with us to see the George W. Bush Library in Dallas. We went to Dealey Plaza the same day.

The younger Bush is often called W for short, so that became my nickname among the Intrepid Lutherans who organized around a blog. The WELS leaders always blame me for the trouble caused by their own corruption, dishonesty, and false doctrine. The Intrepids heard that so often that I became "W" as a joke on WELS.

After the meeting, Chris heard all about it from LI, who told her about the technical revolution and the new high WM stock price.



I fired up T-Rex and we had a great meal. Unfortunately, a brief spell away from the grill meant the bacon blazed up and turned to ash.  We had homemade cheesecake and other delights.

Alex got Batman birthday gifts. He suggested a Batarang for next year's birthday. I looked it up with him on Amazon and sent him one for Wednesday, not for next year. He went outside with me and the helper to rake leaves for the compost. Snow is coming. We filled up the compost and put the garden hose on branches of the dead tree. Alex told our helper how they would divide the job up - division of labor. Our helper wondered how he become junior assistant. Seniority! Alex was raking leaves for me several years ago.


Other Walmart meeting stars, from previous meetings.

Joe Montana.

Tim Tebow.
Hugh Jackman led the Christmas singing at the meeting
and shook hands with LI and me fterwards.