Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Midweek Lenten Service - March 13, 2024

 

Bethany Lutheran Church
Pastor Gregory L. Jackson


The Order of Vespers                                             p. 41
The Psalmody                          Psalm 23                                           
The Lection                            The Passion History
                                               

The Sermon –    Psalm 23, Isaiah 40, and John 10


KJV Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
KJV Psalm 23 
1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Nothing is quite as appealing as the the figure of Jesus as the Good Shepherd. The shepherd references are so numerous that we can overlook them. Jesus quoted the Old Testament saying from Zechariah - "Strike the shepherd and the sheep will be scattered."
I enjoy quoting the 23rd Psalm in Old Testament class. Many students say it is their favorite Psalm. It is the one my mother taught me, and I read it to her just before she passed into eternal life. Know that we connect ideas with images, God shows us in many different ways what this theme, the Shepherd, means.
  • The Lord is my Shepherd, so I am lacking nothing.
  • He provides the necessities of life, which are abundant in this great land.
  • He builds us up again after difficult times, the paths of righteousness are faith in Jesus.
  • Even when facing death I am secure, because He is always with me. He comforts and protects me.
  • Opponents act fearsome, but the Shepherd protects me and His flock.
  • Life is one series of blessings, and I will enjoy heaven in eternity.
King David was a great poet and hymn writer. Some students concentrate on his worst characteristics, which were almost unthinkable, but he eloquently repented and gave us his great songs of contrition. When one minister wanted to deliver warnings to a clergy group, he quoted David's psalms of sorrow for sin.

The Psalms are the background for our great hymns, and they are short passages that we can use for all the episodes of our life - about Creation, family, difficulties, and our life with the Good Shepherd, here and in eternal life.
The Good Shepherd watches the flock (John 10).
 
The Prayers
The Lord’s Prayer
The Collect for Grace                                            p. 45

The Hymn # 653  Now the Light Has Gone Away




Prayers and Announcements
  • In our prayers - Randy Anderson now at home, Sarah Buck, Lorie Howell, Pastor Jim Shrader and Chris, Kermit Way. Alicia Meyer still has breathing problems. 
  • The Zoom services will start 30 minutes early with music. Everyone should have a link with the Word version sent around. 
  • When a service is over, Zoom converts it for YouTube. There is some delay, but it can be quickly loaded to the blog, spanking new.
  • Services will be first on Ichabod, then copied as YouTubes on another blog, Reformation Seminary on yet another third blog. Everything starts on Ichabod, and it is neater to collect those videos on distinct sources. The Bethany Hymnal Blog has 65,000 views.
  • The university has continued more Old Testament courses.