Tuesday, April 9, 2024

See America from the Air

  


I signed up for a streaming service that included Aerial America, which can be found on the Internet in many different fashions - great cities, nature, etc. I started with the 50 states, about 50 minutes for each video.

The narration is fairly balanced and surprisingly good about the history of Christians in various states. I also enjoy mentions of inventers, politicians, military heroes, and insights about each state. Arkansas got a big boost on the Walton Empire but omitted Tyson's meat, which gives Springdale the nickname Chickendale. 

One of my graduate students mentioned living in four different countries on her route to America. That made me think even more about the states Charlie Sue and I have viewed. What a wonderful, God-created country we have. Our wealth in agriculture and minerals is staggering, and we enjoy every kind of climate. Our Founders were so wise that the U.S. Constitution continues to serve us to this day. No other country has that claim.

I enjoyed undergraduate students, especially when they began yapping about rights and the law. Asking them about the Bill of Rights was too much. One student insisted that health care was a Constitutional right, so I invited him to explain where that is stated. 

My public school teachers had a great love for America, and one of my favorites served in the Philippines in WWII. She liked to tell a little bit about serving during WWII.

I know a lot about America from our 52 year slo-mo vacation. We had some great vacations but we enjoyed living in many different places - Connecticut, Ohio, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin, and Arkansas. People make fun of Arkansas, but I point out to them that we have a strict dress code for shoppers - Wear shoes!

A strange twist of fate has given me access to students from all over the world, because online teaching has made that possible.

One of my Moline classmates, John F. Baker,
received the Medal of Honor for his service in Viet Nam.